Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Title X...again

We all know the crazy controversy that went on last week about the government shutting down. SHUTTING DOWN!? That can't be good for the economy. Why is this even relevant to this blog about 16 and pregnant. WELL since you asked...I shall tell you...Kind of. I'm not really well versed in the taxes, budget cuts, and political parties areas but what I do know made some sense to me. It was basically a stalemate between the democrats and the republicans about tax cuts for funding for family planning organizations. Well of course the word abortions loomed in the air every conversation that was had. The parties couldn't agree so everything was going to be at a stand still. Entertainingly enough the President's reaction to John Boehner when he asked for the elimination of funds for title X....Obama said "Nope. ZERO"

This is so fascinating the back and fourth between the two parties about issues that most of these men would not even have to endure once in their live. Thursday it was decided that no money would be cut and the government wouldn't shut down. Go America! What do you all think?

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/09/6439868-obama-to-boehner-on-title-x-cuts-nope-zero


-Alice M.

5 comments:

  1. I think this is a great topic for this class! Not only have we been talking recently about abortion but also the stigmatization that goes along with it. Although my political views usually go more right sided, I have to say that the funding for Planned Parenthood is needed! There is a stigmatization that goes along with Planned Parenthood and abortion, when in reality only 3% of what Planned Parenthood does is abortion. We need to get women more educated about contraception and help them afford it so that they can succeed. And like Alice said, it is interesting that the majority of the people voting on this topic are male...hmm. That doesn't seem right?

    Sarah D

    ReplyDelete
  2. While planned parenthood and abortions are linked, the other services provided by planned parenthood are exceptional. Not only do they provide accurate and medically relevant information, but they also provide a place to get tested for things like STIs. The president was wise to stick to his guns and not cut the funding.

    Taylor Z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The President absolutely made the right decision to not cut the funding. Planned Parenthood is a center that has an exceptional reputation for helping young women with such a scary and life changing situation. Abortion is an extremely touchy subject but the fact that it is such a small part of the business makes me feel that it is worth keeping for informational purposes and testing. The men voting is a great point Alice, how would they know..?

    Kelsey P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so glad the government did not cut funding for Title X. I also think that the fact that Title X and all it stands for made the government almost stop and shut down over it should tell people how important it is and they should learn more about what Title X gives to people. Are you sure there are no women in either party that were part of the decision process for the budget? I am pretty sure there are women in the government that deal with the budget for the US.

    Kristen M

    ReplyDelete
  5. remember opening my email everyday and there was a message from the president of Planned Parenthood giving me an update on the Title X fight. I even wrote a handful of letters to a Missouri congressman, expressing my opinions regarding the potential cutting of Title X funding. I was completely aware of funding issues before this class, but my participation in this class has made me more astute to the sexual health and sexual education problems in our country. I am very grateful for the opposed cuts tobTile X funding, as I believe we would have been providing a grave disservice to our youth had the cuts been approved.

    ReplyDelete