Monday, March 21, 2011

"Bills, bills, bills"

There is a new bill trying to be passed called "heartbeat bill". It stipulates that women cannot get an abortion if a heartbeat of the fetus can be detected. The only exception to the law is if the abortion is done in a medical emergency. The article "Abortions battles spring up nationwide as states test the limits of Roe v. Wade" explains how the bill came to be and states the bill does not seem likely to pass, however that won't stop anti-abortionists from trying.
I believe that if this bill would pass, there will be few abortions because a fetus' heart beats 4 weeks after conception. Most women do not know they are even pregnant at that time unless they were trying to conceive and if they were trying to conceive then they would not need to utilize an abortion in the first place. I disagree with this bill and agree that it likely will not pass.
Other states meanwhile are trying to pass bills, like Texas that requires women to get a sonogram before they get an abortion. I think that this is terrible because it will further the guilt some people feel towards abortion and then you will have an increase in unwanted children being born. South Dakota is trying to pass a bill that says women have to receive a consultation 72 hours before the abortion. A consultation for what? To talk them out of it? To give them resources for counseling? This has some pros and cons.

Kristen, M

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this law is unfair and completely takes away the right of the woman who is physically having to bear the child. If she is not ready, and has strong beliefs that she will not be able to take care of the child properly, then she should have the right to an abortion. I do hope these laws are NOT passed and that females who are going through such a life-changing event can have as many options as they want to make the best choice for them and their baby.

    Kelsey P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you on this one. This is where the separation of church and state needs to be considered. If we force a woman into sonograms,etc before voluntary abortions are allowed, we are pushing religious guilt onto a woman. I don't think that the old adage of "If she's old enough to spread her legs she's old enough to raise a child" is true. If a woman feels that she is not in the right place in her life to raise a child, we should not be guilting her into a decision that could very well effect her future as well as the fetus'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I post I'd like to say that my political views are very different it seems then a lot of people in this class. My stance is very conservative and I would support these bills. I've had this viewpoint for quite a few years, and I realize that I am pretty stuck in my ways. I absolutely would support these bills because I don't think anyone should be having an abortion unless medically necessary.

    Sarah D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there is any chance that this bill will pass, but the question of should it is more complicated. I think it is possible that the consultation requirement might pass, and I am somewhat ok with that. It depends what kind of consultation it is. Are pregnant women simply required to show that they talked to their parents, or do they have to talk with some sort of anti-abortion nutjob?

    I would have to know more about the consultation bill before passing judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? a heartbeat detected? I think I'm really opinionated and I say a lot of things that are straight of my head but come on now! Many people don't even know they are pregnant until then. How can we decided what a woman should do with her body. We can't separate the fetus from the mother...this will just cause more illegal and unsafe abortions. This makes me angry. I think I need to have a protest. I can't deal with capitalism some times...*head spins*
    Alice M.

    ReplyDelete